M2HB.NET

The new M2HB.NET forums.
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:13 am 
Gunner

See post 13 for results of test loads of amax with a M3.

I have 300 AMAX 750 grain 50 bmg bullets. They are much longer than a normal bullet, but they have a long major (0.510)section I can crimp with. I was wondering if anyone has loaded the amax 50 bmg bullet for use in a M3 and what the OAL was to get the bullet to work properly.

Does the fact that this bullet will be seated so deeply to maintain an operating OAL effect pressure? I do the same with my 223 loads to fit the amax bullets in the magazines of the AR's and they function fine and shoot wonderfully accurate.

The length of the major section (0.510) of this A-Max bullet is almost 1" long (0.94)

The start of the major section is around 1.5" back from the tip. I can seat that bullet that far in and still get a good crimp. I have to do the same thing with my 223 loads and it works fine...but I know 223 and 50 bmg are two different animals.

I am sure seating a bullet so far into the case HAS to increase pressure however, and I do see in some manuals they require extra OAL, but not that extreme in the case of the 223.

I am not sure how fast that bullet will let lose, and how fast the pressures build, but I know it has to be constant with boyles law...

Bottom line is, I don't want to blow up my M3

Any suggestions?

Last edited by bubbapug on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:06 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

Let me start off by saying that I don't have any experience with the A-Max. So I don't have information to help you with this. Sorry. :(

My posting is more of a curiosity and not in any way ment to be a flame.

Is there a reason that you have/want to shoot A-Max projectiles from a M3? Seems a little pricey for this type of arm, unless your range requires no steel projo's. The M3 and M2 are fine weapons and accurate, but I wouldn't call them tac drivers.

Unless you are trying to see what your M3 will do, I would sell/trade them off for military pull down projo's. I would guess you could get 4:1 even at some of the expensive prices you see at .25 a projo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:13 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

I must agree..match bullets from a machine gun??? ok...

I have loaded the A-Max .50 both for single shot bolt guns and at 5.45 OAL to fit in mag fed semis. I have not used it in a belt fed. Keep in mind that in order to extract from the belt and feed, the round momentarily gets knocked forward into the trunnion by the extractor claw. This requires a crimp to prevent pushing the bullet into the case too deep. The A-Max has no cannelure to crimp into, and I usually don't crimp those bullets anyway for rifle shooting.
If you insist, you will have to seat these deep and crimp, which will result in a pressure rise, so start with a load at least 10% under your usual 750 gr bullet spec.

But hey, I have some nice ball bullets which will suit you much better..in case you want to trade some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:23 am 
Gunner

We can't shoot steel at the local ranges in fire season. Either I shoot these or nothing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 am 
MASTER BLASTER

I see. Well then, nevermind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 am 
MASTER BLASTER

Quote:
Either I shoot these or nothing...

That is a bummer. :(

Have you concidered any of the solid's like impactco1 is using? There are one's with a more traditional profile. The long ogive of the A-Max is probably a hard obsticaly to get around.

If you decided to go with another projectile, it wouldn't be to difficult to unload the Hornady's on Biggerhammer or FCSA.

Widener's has a few solids. They have these TRIPLE SHOCK X-BULLETS. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8586&dir=278|281|303

These would take care of your problem and they look to be less expensive that the Hornady's

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8586&dir=278|281|303

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:14 pm 
Gunner

I got the amax for $1.50 a piece. I was so impressed using amax out of my match barrel AR that I went for the bullets. Yes, they are longer, but in the AR I just seat them deeper. In the 50 cal the tip to bearing surface length is the same as normal FMJBT so I know I can get the OAL down to whee it needs to be, the question is whether the crimp will work (I think it will) and if the bullet is robust enough to take the jostling...again, the aluminum tip is stronger than a brass/lead tip for sure.

I also can't own a 50 bmg barret, as its a rifle and California outlawed 50 bmg rifles years ago along with common sense in government, but for some odd reason the law allows one to purchase a M2HB as its not technically....a rifle!!!! :lol:

Go figure!!! For once a loop hole in my favor!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:04 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

I've got a bunch of loaded BMG ammo with moly coated AMAX bullets seated for use in a beltfed...
If you want to trade ammo for your plain AMAX bullets, let me know...

//Ben (mrkubota@yahoo.com)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 am 
Gunner

Did you need to decrease the amount of powder you used to due to the longer insertion length of the AMAX or can you load to normal powder weights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 am 
MASTER BLASTER

Yes, it's reduced because of the 750 gr bullet weight and the deep seating if you go for 5.45" OAL. I don't know about a belt fed, but I haven't gone over 210 gr with 860 ball powder in a bolt gun yet. Charts say you can go more with US 869 (slower powder) but I don't have any numbers I've used. Mrkubota??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:14 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

bubbapug wrote:
Did you need to decrease the amount of powder you used to due to the longer insertion length of the AMAX or can you load to normal powder weights?

If you're near max load already then a definite yes...
Most bolt gun loads are in the moderate zone of 218 to 225gr of the typical BMG powders like 860, 867, 868, 872, H50BMG, IMR5010, US869..
Any of those powders will work with the same loads with bullets in the 647 - 750gr range so long as they aren't seated deeper than a nominal 5.45" COL.

The heavier bullets will shoot better/faster with slower powder like VV20N29

Hodgdon's shows a max load of 233gr for H50bmg and an AMAX bullet seated to 5.45" (no crimp..)

//Ben

Post subject: ...my take...
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:38 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

Just loaded (100) rds. of the 750gr. A-max in some LC 07 brass. Kept it at about 220 gr. of W860 for the FA M2HB and .015 below max over-all length. This load should also work in every bolt gun or semi. Not too hot,not too long and look very menacing belted up...LOL. Hope I can use them in a bolt gun or semi like the Barret. Seems like a waste of a match bullet on a FA....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:00 am 
RANGEMASTER

As mentioned above, I have been using the Lehigh brass ball with no issues. They are back in stock at the moment. If it were me, I would just sell the AMAX bullets to someone with a bolt gun and use the Lehighs. If I had a longer barrel on my DTC gun, I would buy them from you. Unfortunately, I cannot get enough velocity for them with 22", even at max loads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:07 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

I've got 110 Lehigh 645gr. ball bullets if you want to trade for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:14 pm 
Gunner

I loaded up 30 amax using 210, 216, and 222 grains of 872.

210 won't cycle a M2.

216 worked well enough, but cycling was still iffy, the drop was high as the load was slow.

222 grains seemed to be fine, no signs of excessive pressure, nice cycling. Average chrony reading was 2779 fps...

I did bulge the necks on 3 bullets I tried to seat without lubing the necks, and they woudl not cycle at all as the gun wouldn't go into battery. I was able to salvage one buy cutting back the neck, the other two I had to cut the case on as there was NO WAY they would come out with a bullet puller! (no flat to grab hold of)

The loads were accurate, but how much so compared to normal loads will have to wait until raining season here in Socal.

The amax looks menacing in the belts!!