M2HB.NET

The new M2HB.NET forums.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PSD 07 cases?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:58 pm 
Gunner

I just bought 1800 fired cases of .50 brass. It is marked PSD 07? Does anyone know anything about this brass? The primers have red sealant around them and a guy who sells ammo stated that it has a mililtary crimp on it. My assumption based on this is that it has only been fired once. I ran a wire in it and I felt no ridges inside the case. There is a little bit of a ring at the base of the case. It does not appear to be bulged just slightly different colored on the bottom 1/2 inch. I plan reloading it in the future. Does this sound safe? I paid 25 cents per round. Did I get screwed or did I get a good deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:36 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

Sounds like a fair deal. War cloud is quite the .50 BMG reloading expert however...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

Military surplus, made in Korea.

Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company Ltd., Seoul, Republic of Korea.

At .25 cents you got a good buy as long as there isn't anything wrong with the brass. If the headspace was set up correctly the brass shouldn't be to bad. Get yourself a good powered trimmer or one you can set up with a cordless drill. Trying to trim all of those by hand will drive you up the friggin wall and probably give you carpal tunnel in your wrists.

You'll need to get a chamfer to remove the primer crimp from the brass, get one that will fit into a drill to make quick work of it. Take a piece of brass that has the primer removed with you to the hardware store and get a chamfer that's bigger then the primer pocket. You'll only need to remove just enough material to get rid of that friggin ring crimp. I use an RCBS .17-.45 cal deburring tool as I had one, it fits into my drill and works fast.

The biggest thing I can tell you is to inspect the brass carefully, the M2 ruins brass if it wasn't set up properly. If you load it and it fails in your rifle, you pay the price. This can be nothing but tossing the brass because it split or you could lose your rifle do to a catastrophic failure of the brass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:45 am 
MASTER BLASTER

PSD is good but has a reputation for being a bit harder alloy than US brass, so it tends to be hard to trim and cut smoothly. It also does not have the life span of US brass, as the cases do begin to crack sometimes as soon as the second reload. But at what, .25 cents? Where can I buy in? Hell, if I only get one shot out of them, it's worth that.

You get sick of sizing all that brass, just give me a call..I'll take some off your hands.