M2HB.NET

The new M2HB.NET forums.
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:10 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

In AP, Ball, and API.

Want to know..

Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:27 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

There is a table published in the Army TM for the M2HB on penetration of common barrier materials and one type of steel armor plate I believe, but the numbers are very conservative.

If someone had access to the detailed ordnance tests from the US Army or DoD at Aberdeen, you'd have a much more detailed overview of .50 cal ammunition capabilities. I don't happen to have any of that data, sorry.

From what I've tested independantly here with my gun however, it's pretty impressive as an anti-armor weapon, at least in M2HB / 45 inch barrel configuration. I'd like to test it on actual vehicle armor though, which is more dense than the construction grade steels I get to shoot at. I do know from the military ranges back in the 80's, APC's of the M113 / M114 type don't have a prayer at 500 meters against a .50 M2HB firing M2 AP or M20 APIT.

Can't you Google search?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:50 am 
MASTER BLASTER

Here's a page to look at for what you're looking for.

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infa ... _ammo.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:52 pm 
Major of Armor

WC, you can test it out on mine. Just remember, you break it; you buy it! :lol: The 432 is steel hulled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:39 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

Besides AP, API you now have SLAP and Raufoss (Mk211 Mod 0) to deal with or use on the battlefield. Both will make swiss cheese out of lightly armored vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

50 Shooter wrote:
Besides AP, API you now have SLAP and Raufoss (Mk211 Mod 0) to deal with or use on the battlefield. Both will make swiss cheese out of lightly armored vehicles.

I've never seen Slap issued to anyone. WHo gets it? Raufoss is more common, special ops guys get it for the barret 50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:50 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

SLAP get issued to armored vehicles. The Sabot would tear the muzzle brake off a rifle when it separated. SLAP is used exclusively in M2HB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:57 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

WarCloud wrote:
SLAP get issued to armored vehicles. The Sabot would tear the muzzle brake off a rifle when it separated. SLAP is used exclusively in M2HB.

All I get is API/APIT. Don't get slap. Maybe that's cause I have a mk19 in the turret also though. APC-eater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

I don't think that SLAP will fit into anything but the M2, Barrett made a special run of M82's with a SLAP chamber for the Marines. Those are long gone but still show up on the auction boards every now and then for sale. A limited number of the ones returned to Barrett were sold to FFL's and from there got into the civilian market.

Not sure who really gets SLAP or if they still issue/make it at all, would have to check with a certain person to see what the deal is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:44 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

If I ever declare war upon m2hb.net I'm adding spaced potato chip armor with a 1foot gap between it and the applique armor.

Oh, and I'm traveling in groups no smaller than platoon size with infantry support (Hoorah for thermal imagers)

1.4" of penetration with a slap. HMMM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:11 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

Propaganda. The published velocity and armor penetration are deliberately understated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:20 pm 
MASTER BLASTER

WarCloud wrote:
Propaganda. The published velocity and armor penetration are deliberately understated.

Is everything propaganda?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 am 
MASTER BLASTER

With specifications concerning military weapons? Of course.
We learned that very quickly at Ft. Knox. The capabilities of even the old M60 tanks were far greater than what was published in the official manuals and training videos. Especially vital areas like vehicle range, speed, fuel consumption, gun accuracy, gun range, velocity, armor penetration..these are all secrets which an enemy could use to plan massive battle maneuvers against you with. When I was a tanker, we were expecting any minute to be throwing ourselves and our machines into Fulda Gap to stall a Soviet invasion. That kind of information wins or loses battles. The published maximum road speed of an M60 is 45 mph. Ridiculous. The published velocity of a 105mm sabot round is just over 5000 fps, also ridiculous. So the published velocity of a Slap round at 4000 fps from an M2HB? Really. Not. And 1.4" armor penetration? I think that's a bit low.
If there are no slap rounds being used anymore, I'd really have to say it's because they are expensive to manufacture and we don't have a real use for them in the current environment. Raufoss is far more lethal in urban combat and won't go through 10 buildings before it stops. We're not facing formations of Soviet vehicles. We're shooting Persian snipers.

Plus I'm certain by now the old Slap has been replaced by an exotic metal penetrator version, translate that to mean depleted uranium.